学习啦>学习英语>生活英语>求职英语>

职场社交英语(4)

楚欣分享

  17、她整个人热力四射

  Elvin: She is, like, 1) mega-intense, isn't she?

  艾文: 她整个人热力四射,对吧?

  Mary: Ha, she is unstoppable. I'm learning so much from her.

  玛莉: 没有事情能挡得住她。我跟她学了好多。

  Elvin: What's it like to work with her?

  艾文: 跟她共事是啥感觉?

  Mary: She's 2) demanding. But I like that. I mean, I know our timeline is tight.

  玛莉: 她的要求很高。但我喜欢那样。我是说,我知道我们的时间很紧。

  Elvin: Tell me about it.

  艾文: 这还用说。

  Mary: You guys are working around the clock, I know. That guy Dave next to Zina never leaves.

  玛莉: 我知道你们都在二十四小时赶工。那个坐在吉娜隔壁叫戴夫的人从没离开过。

  Elvin: Vince wants us to have everything 3) debugged and ready to go by the end of the month.

  艾文: 文斯要我们把程序错误全部修正,准备在月底前上线。

  语言详解

  A: Your mother is so demanding!

  你妈妈的要求真高!

  B: That's what my dad always says.

  我爸爸也总是这么说。

  【around the clock 日以继夜】

  由clock 组成的成语除了around the clock 之外,另有一个against the clock“赶时间”。

  A: Frank, why does your factory have to work around the clock this month?

  佛兰克,为什么你们工厂这个月要日以继夜地赶货?

  B: Well, we have got quite a lot of orders for shipment this quarter.

  我们最近收到相当多订单,都要这一季出货。

  A: In other words, you are all working against the clock now.

  换句话说,你们现在全都在赶时间。

  B: You're right.

  你说对了。

  1) mega-intense intense是指“紧张的、一触即发的”,字首(prefix) mega是“非常,相当多”的意思,亦指 “百万的”,如 megabyte“百万位元组”。

  2) demanding (a.) 要求很高的

  3) debug (v.) (电脑)除虫,指修正电脑程序中的错误。

  18、我们得要抢先完成

  Mary: Is it true that one of our 1) competitors is planning to 2) launch their 3) tracking service next month?

  玛莉: 听说我们有个竞争对手打算下个月推出监测流量的服务,这是真的还是假的?

  Elvin: That would be WebTracker. We're heard they're almost ready. That's why we have to finish first.

  艾文: 你说的是“网路搜寻家”。听说他们几乎准备好了。所以我们得要抢先完成。

  Mary: Or they'll take over the market before we even get started.

  玛莉: 否则在我们还没来得及开始之前,他们就会占去整个市场。

  Elvin: Right. And that would be a total 4) giga-bummer.

  艾文: 没错。到时就一败涂地了。

  Mary: I guess we'd better get back to work.

  玛莉: 我猜我们最好赶快回去工作吧

  语言详解

  A: You have such a strange accent. Where are you from?

  你的口音奇怪。你是哪里人?

  B: Take a guess.

  猜猜看。

  【take over 接掌、占据】

  take over 表达商务上或军事上的“接掌、占据”。

  A: Once again, the military has taken over the African country.

  又一次军方接管了那个非洲国家。

  B: Do you think that'll interrupt your plan of taking over the market there?

  你想这会干扰到你要掌控该地市场的计划吗?

  A: Maybe and maybe not. I just have to wait and see.

  或许会,或许不会。我只有等着瞧了。

  1) competitor (n.) 竞争者

  2) launch (v.) 事业登场,投入市场

  3) tracking service 监控服务,此指“监控网站流量的服务”。

  4) giga-bummer bummer是指“倒霉、不幸的遭遇”, giga这个“字首” 是指“十亿”,意即“非常巨大,非常多”。

  SCENE③ A 吉娜去她老板的隔间看他

  19、我就不拐弯抹角了

  Zina: Vince. We're both busy, so I'm not going to beat around the bush. I need a 1) raise.

  吉娜: 文斯。大家都很忙,我就不拐弯抹角了。我要加薪。

  Vince: I can't do that, Zina. You know I can't.

  文斯: 办不到,吉娜。你知道我无能为力的。

  Zina: 2) Bull. I're done my 3) research. I know you still 4) control more than 65 percent of InfoKing 5) options.

  吉娜: 胡扯。我做了研究。我知道你仍掌握了“资讯王”百分之六十五以上的股权。

  Vince: Who told you that?

  文斯: 谁跟你说的?

  Zina: That doesn't matter. I want 6) at least 4 percent.

  吉娜: 那不重要。我少说要百分之四。

  语言详解

  A: I have done extensive research on the French Revolution.

  我对法国大革命做过广泛的研究。

  B: Then you must have been to Paris.

  那你一定去过巴黎。

  【beat around the bush拐弯抹角】

  beat around the bush原意是指猎人在打猎时,先在草丛附近拍打,以让鸟类猎物受惊而现出踪迹,引申出藉由迂回的方式,不针对问题回答,犹如中文里的“拐弯抹角”:

  A: Stop beating around the bush, and tell me what you want.

  别拐弯抹角,告诉我你要什么。

  B: I want a divorce.

  我要离婚。

  A: What did Tom want to tell you?

  汤姆那时想要跟你说什么?

  B: I'm not sure. He kept beating around the bush.

  我不确定。他一直在拐弯抹角。

  1)raise (n.) 加薪

  2) bull 原意是“公牛”,这里是用作 bullshit 委婉说法。

  3) research (n.) 研究

  4) control (v.) 控制

  5) option (n.) 选择,此指“股票选择权”

  6) at least 至少,起码

  20、我得要有动力

  Vince: Your 3.5 percent 1) share is going to be worth at least a million.

  文斯: 你那百分之三·五的股权,将会值个百万以上。

  Zina: I need to be 2) motivated, Vince. 3) Multi-motivated. As in multi-million.

  吉娜: 我得要有动力,文斯。多重动力,多重百万的多重。

  Vince: What if I said no?

  文斯: 要是我说不呢?

  Zina: Ever hear of WebTracker?

  吉娜: 有听过“网路搜寻家”吗?

  Vince: You wouldn't! If you leave, you'll make nothing.

  文斯: 你不会那样吧!你若是离开,连半毛都赚不到。

  Zina: I might make nothing even if I stay. For that kind of risk, I want to get rich.

  吉娜: 我留下搞不好也赚不到半毛。 基于这种风险,我要发财。

  Vince: OK. If you sign the Stars.com 4) account before WebTracker does, we'll talk next week.

  文斯: 好吧。若是你早“网路搜寻家”一步签下Stars.com这个客户,我们就等下星期再谈。

  语言详解

  A: Don't you want to go and exercise?

  你不想在运动吗?

  B: Yes, but I can't seem to get motivated.

  想,可是我没有动力。

  【用 as in... 做补述】

  as in这个短语是用来补述,好让意思能让人更明白,常用在解释拼字的时候:

  A: My name is Meg.

  我叫做梅格。

  B: Is that M as in Mary, E as in elephant, and G as in girl?

  那是Mary的m、elephant的e,girl的g吗?

  as in可以用来进一步解释情况,犹如中文里的“像……那种”:

  A: I just ate a Chinese buffet for only 2.99 dollars.

  我刚只花了2.99美元吃了份中式自助餐。

  B: As in the all-you-can-eat kind? That's so cheap!

  是吃到饱的那种吗?还真便宜!

  你也可以用as in来提问,以确定自己没有误会对方的意思:

  A: I made a million last year.

  我去年赚了一百万。

  B: Is that as in dollars?

  你说的一百万是美元吗?

  1) share (n.) 股份

  2) motivate (v.) 给予……动力

  3) multi “多重的”字首

  4) account (n.) 客户,尤指生意上往来的客

379933