学习啦>学习英语>生活英语>英语情景对话>

哈佛大学校园生活情景对话(2)

焯杰分享

  哈佛校园情景对话:马萨诸塞堂返回目录

  Han Meimei and John is looking for somewhere they can have a rest.

  J: I'm exhausted.I can’t walk any longer. Let’s have a rest.

  J:累死我了,我走不动了,歇会儿吧。

  H: You all right? We didn’t walk too much.

  H:你还好吧?我们也没走太多路呀。

  J: I went mountain climbing yesterday with my Christian brothers.

  J:我昨天和教友们去爬山了。

  H: That must be tiring. Look, there,re a lot of people sitting over there. Hold out! We're almost there.

  H:那肯定很累人。看,有很多人坐在那边休息呢。坚持一下,就快到了。

  J: Oh, I didn’t realize we’re arriving at Tanner Fountain. Great!

  J:哦,我没意识到我们就快到唐纳喷泉了,太好了

  H: You know there?

  H:你知道那儿?

  J: Sure. I believe that’s the most terrific place at Harvard.

  J:当然,我认为那是哈佛最美的地方。

  H: Why didn’t you take me here?

  H:那你为什么不带我来这儿呢?

  J: I planned to show you some places that have historical significance. You can put the blame on me.

  J:我原打算让你看看有历史意义的地方,怪我。

  H: I wasn’t blaming you. I was just asking you.

  H:我不是在怪你,我只是问你。

  J: Well, not too late to make up for my fault.

  J:好吧,亡羊补牢为时不晚。

  (They reach the fountain.)

  (他们达到喷泉。)

  H: It is beautiful. But...it looks a little strange, but I can’t tell.

  H:确实很漂亮,但……看起来有点怪,但又说不上来。

  J: Look at it more closely. Don’t you see that the water is at the same level as the ground?

  J:再仔细看看,不觉得水和地面在一个平面上吗?

  H: Oh, I see. The fountains Fve seen before all have basins, but this one doesn't.

  H:啊,我明白了。我以前见过的喷泉都有水池,而这个设有。

  J: That’s the innovation of this fountain.

  J:这就是这个喷泉的创新之处。

  H: No wonder it is well-preserved.

  H:怪不得保持得这么完好。

  J: I haven’t thought about this question. Why?

  J:我设想过这个问题,为什么?

  H: You know, most of the fountains are actually abandoned after some time. The water used to be clear, and there were even some fish. Finally, they only turn out to be dry basins without water.

  H:你知道,实际上很多喷泉在用了一段时间之后就荒废了。以前水是清的,水里甚 至还有鱼,但最后只剩下设有水的干池子了。

  J: How come?

  j:怎么回事?

  H: Because the basin can leak, and people don’t want to take the trouble to mend it.

  H:因为水池会漏水,人们也不想修,嫌麻烦。

  J: That happens. The innovation of the design also lies in that a fountain like this brings people close to it.

  J:这样的事经常发生。这个设计的新意还在于像这样的喷泉可以让人们更靠近它。

  H: Look at that guy, he seems to forget where he is and is just enjoying his life.

  H:看那个家伙厂他似乎忘了自己在哪儿了,只是在尽情地享受生活。

  J; When people are here, they can totally relax and forget about the stresses of study and work.

  J:人们在这儿的时候可以完全於松,忘记学习和工作的压力。

  H: You’re right that this is the most wonderful place I’ve seen today at Harvard. It shortens the distance between human and nature although it’s artificial.

  H:你是对的,这是我今天在哈佛看到的最棒的地方了。它缩短了人与自然之间的距 离,虽说它是人造的。

  J: In this sense, the design is human-centered.

  J:从这个意义上说,这个设计很人性化。

  H: Nature is blended into? life.

  H:自然融入了生活。

  J: What’s more, the fountain will have some changes with seasons.

  J:而且这个喷泉会随季节变换而有一些变化。

  H: Sounds interesting!

  H:听起来很有意思。

  J: In summer, people can play in the water. In winter, the steam from the heating system takes the place, making it even more beautiful

  J:夏天的时候,人们可以在水里玩耍;冬天的时候,供暖系统提供的热气会笼罩这 里,让它更加漂亮。

  H: That’ll add some mystique? to it

  H:那会给这里增添神秘感。

  J: Feel like you5re in heaven.

  J:感觉在天堂。

  H: I wish it were winter now. I’m imagining how beautiful it is in winter.

  H:希望现在就是冬天。我在想象冬天时它有多美。

  J: You can come back and appreciate it in winter.

  J:你可以冬天再来欣赏。

  H: I don’t want to miss such a good chance to take pictures. Can you take a photo for me?

  H:我可不想错过这么好的照相机会。你能绘我拍张照吗?

  J: I don’t have a camera.

  J:我没有相机。

  H: You can use the camera on my cell phone, it has five megapixel.

  H:可以用我手机上的相机,有500万像素。

  J: Cool! Say “cheese”,done! Come and see how it looks.

  J:酷! “茄子”,好了!过来看看怎么样。

  H: Perfect. Thank you.

  H:很好,谢谢你。

  J: It’s getting late. We’d better go home now.

  J:不早了,我们最好回去吧。

  H: My time in paradise is coming to an end. I haven’t finished my homework yet. I’m afraid I have to stay up.

  H:我的快乐时光即将结束了。我还没写完作业呢,恐怕要熬夜了。

  J: You’ll get used to it.

  J:你会习惯的。

  H: Well, I’ve been a bother today. Thank you very much for being my guide today.

  H:好吧,今天打扰你了,非常感谢你今天做我的导游。

  J: Don't mention it. See you tomorrow at school.

  J:不客气,明天学校见。

  H: See you.

  H:再见。

  哈佛校园情景对话:哈佛纪念堂返回目录

  Han Meimei and John are heading for Harvard Memorial Hall.

  J: Next, I’ll show something that can remind people of the wounds of the States.

  J:接下来我要让你看一样东西,它令人们想起美国的创伤。

  H: Do you mean the Civil War?

  H:你是不是说内战?

  J: Yes. It split a family, with the father on the Southern side and the son on the Northern side, and brothers turning against each other.

  J:是的,内战使得家庭破裂,父亲为南方而战,儿子为北方而战,兄弟之间也反目 成仇。

  H: What a tragedy!

  H:真是悲剧!

  J: The Civil War has been a grief to Americans, including Harvard people, needless to say. Classmates made their way to different armies. Some joined the Union and other turned to the Confederate.

  J:内战一直都是美国人心中的痛,不用说也是哈佛人心中的伤痛。同学投奔不同的 军队,一些加入了北方联邦军队,而另一些则加人了南方联盟军。

  H: Why did some students fight for the South? It is the South that broke away from the country.

  H:为什么有的学生要为南方而战呢?南方不是叛军吗?

  J: Yes, for most people, the North was fighting to liberate the slaves. It’s true. Nevertheless, not all the northern people fought with such a altruistic aim. You know, the North was desperate for free labor then.

  J:是的,对大多数人来说,北方是在为解放奴隶而战,但并不是所有北方人都这么 无私。你知道的,那时北方急需自由劳动力。

  H: If slaves were freed from the southern plantation,there would be more free labor.

  H:假如奴隶从南方的种植园中解放出来,就会有更多自由劳动力。

  J: It turned out to be true. After the Civil War, the South’s traditional economic system was paralyzed while the northern industry took off.

  J:事实确实如此。内战后,南方的传统经济体制瘫疾了,但北方的工业却取得了巨 大的成功。 .

  H; Despite this, it was a must to rise as a modern industrial country.

  H:尽管如此,为了能成为一个现代工业强国,这个过程是必需的。

  J: That said,people can’t forget it. To remember the alumni who fought for the Union cause and died, Harvard constructed this Memorial Hall. Here we are. Lefs go inside.

  J:话虽如此,但很多人仍对此念念不忘。为了纪念为北方联邦军献身的校友,哈佛 建造了这个纪念堂。我们到了,进去看看吧。

  H: It looks like a typical European architecture.

  H:看起来像个典型的欧式建筑。

  J: The theatre’s design is based on Christopher Wren’s Sheldonian Theatre at Oxford, England.

  J:这个剧院是按照英国牛津大学的谢尔登尼安 剧院的样子设计的,谢尔登尼安剧院是列恩 设计的。

  H: The theatre? Didn’t you say it’s a memorial hall?

  H:剧院?你不是说这是个纪念堂吗?

  J: Oh, yes. The Hall consists of three parts, the Annenberg Hall, the Memorial Transept and Tower, an Sanders Theatre.

  J:哦,是的,纪念堂包括三个部分:安内伯格厅、

  H: Does each function differently?

  H:每个的功能各不相同?

  J: Rather different. The Annenberg Hall is the hall’s great room. It was converted to a student commons soon after construction. Now it’s the dining hall for all freshmen.

  H:相当不一样。安内伯格厅是纪念堂的大厅,一建成就被用作学生休息室,现在是 新生食堂。

  H: A dinning hall?! Oh, my god! I thought it serves at least as a gallery or what.

  H:食堂?噢,天哪!我以为至少会是个美术馆什么的。

  J: The transept, or the main entrance to the hall, mainly serves that function. In 2006,I came here to appreciate the Deep Wounds, a temporary art instaUation that explored relationships destroyed by conflict and the possibility of healing.

  J:耳堂,也就是纪念堂的入口的主要功能是展览。2006年我来这儿欣赏了一下“深 伤”,那是个暂时性的艺术装置,用来探索在内战中破裂的关系和伤□愈含的可 能性。

  H: What was it like?

  H:是什么样的装置?

  J: You know, the hall was built to honor the Harvard graduated who died in the Civil War while fighting for the Union. So each of these men’s year of graduation, name, and date of death are permanently inscribed in the marble wall of the transept.

  J:你知道的,纪念堂是为纪念在内战中为联邦军阵亡的校友而建的,所以每个人的 毕业年份、名字、死亡日期都被永久性地刻在了耳堂的大理石墙上了。

  H: Only the names of those on the Union side?

  H:只有联邦军的名字?

  J: Yes. In the Deep Wounds, however, each Harvard Confederate man’s year of graduation, state, and date of death were projected onto the floor. Instead of a name, however, I saw a relationship such as “father” or “classmate” that described a relationship he had to those Union men on the wall.

  J:是的,但在“深伤”这个展览上,每个参加南方联盟军的哈佛人的毕业年份、所 在州、死亡日期也都被投射在地板上。但我没有看到名字,只看到了诸如“父亲” 或“同学”之类的字样,这些是用来描述他们和墙上那些联邦军之间的关系。

  H: To mend the broken families or relationships. What’s the function of the…theatre? I forget its name.

  H:为了修复破裂的家庭和关系。那个什么剧院,我忘记名字了,它的功能是什么?

  J: Sanders Theatre. It's internationally known for its superior acoustic. During the academic year, the theatre serves as the major lecture hall, hosting undergraduate courses, many prestigious lectures, and annual commencement and reunion activities. In other time, it’s a theatre.

  J:桑德斯剧院,它的音响效果超级好,在世界上都是有名的。学生在校期间,剧院 的功能是主教学楼,本科.生课程、很多著名讲座、每车的毕业典礼和其他聚会活 动都是在这里举行的。其他时间里,它就是个剧院。

  H: Designers were smart to combine historical meaning and practical functions in one architecture.

  H:设计者很聪明,把历史意义和实用功能结含在了一起。

  哈佛校园情景对话:哈佛学院返回目录

  Han Meimei and John meet on Monday. They are now talking about their future major.

  J: Han, Which major do you plan to choose?

  J:韩,打算选什么专业啊?

  H: I haven’t think about this question.

  H:我还设想过这个问题。

  J: Jesus! Don’t you worry about or even think about you future?

  J:天啊,你从来没想过或担心过你的前途吗?

  H: Yes,I do. I just don’t want to ask for trouble so early.

  H:是的,我只是不想这么早就自寻烦恼。

  J: Too early? Han, it's your second year in high school!

  J:太早?梅梅,你现在已经是高二了!

  H: So what? Give me a break. Don’t laugh at me.

  H:那又怎样?得了,别取笑我了。

  J: Don’t get angry. I was just kidding, to test your knowledge of Harvard University.

  J:别生气,我只是开开玩笑,想试下你对哈佛大学的了解程度。

  H: Did it sound like a joke?

  H:这像开玩笑吗?

  J: I apologize. But you have to confess that you don’t know Harvard at all.

  J:我道歉,但是你不得不承认你对哈佛大学一无所知。

  H: Not again. Does it have anything to do with Harvard?

  H:又来了。这与哈佛大学有什么关系吗?

  J: Yeah, of course it does. Aren’t you going to Harvard after graduation?

  J:当然有关系了,你毕业后不是想去哈佛大学吗?

  H: Sure.

  H:是啊。

  J: So you’re right not to think too much about your major too early.

  J:因此你不想太早过多地考虑专业选择的问题是对的。

  H: Don’t fool me. You know how important a major is? You know what a major mean? To a large extent,it'll determine your future life,.

  H:别笑我了,你知道专业有多重要吗?你知道专业意味着什 么吗?在很大程度上,专业会决定你未来的生活。

  J: That’s right. A lot of students go to college because they believe that a good college or a

  good major will help them find a good job in the future.

  J:很对。很多学生认为上个好大学或者选择_个好专业会帮 他们在未来找个好工作。

  H: Is it wrong to think so?

  H:那么这么想,错了吗?

  J: No. I said everyone has their own values. But to me, a good higher education aims to

  educate well-rounded individuals.

  J:不是的,每个人都有自己的价值观,但是对我来说,一个好的高等教育的目标是要培育全面发展的人。

  H: Aren’t we?

  H:难道我们不是?

  J: If you aim at pursuing a certain occupational target, then you’re not well-rounded.

  J:如果你的目标是从事某一种职业,那么你就不是很全面了。

  H: Make sense. I have so many interests and I don’t want to give up any of them. As a result, I can’t decide on my major.

  H:有道理,我有许多兴趣,我不想放弃任何一个,所以我还设决定我要选什么专业。

  J: Don’t worry. The freshmen don’t choose a major at Harvard College. They are only

  required to take Expository Writing, and may enroll any courses in which they are interested.

  J:别担心,哈佛学院的新生不用选择专业。他们只要求新生学习说明文写作,学生 可以根据自己的喜好选择所要学习的课程。

  H: That’s great!

  H:那太好了 !

  J: Besides, you can even change your major.

  J:另外,你还可以换专业。

  H: Couldn’t imagine that.

  H:真是难以想象啊!

  J: Harvard College offers us a liberal education. You do have a major, but it’s not so important as you thought, especially when you plan to go to graduate school.

  J:哈佛学院提供了一个自由的教育环境,你可以选择一个专业,但是专业设有你想 象中的那么重要,特别是如果你打算继续研究生学习的话。

  H: Unbelievable.

  H:难以置信。

  J: The good graduate schools want flexible, adaptable minds, minds exposed to a broad

  range of knowledge and trained in rigorous critical thinking.

  J:好的研究生院是希望学生有灵活和适应性强的头脑,能够掌握全面的知识,拥有 良好的逻辑思考能力。

  H: So I don’t have to get a bachelor degree m pre-law if I want to go to the Law School.

  H:那就是说,如果我想进入法学院,我可以不用先拿到法学预科学位。

  J: Yes.

  J:是的。

  H: Really? (Han Meimei lets out a sigh of relief). To be honest, I've been torn between American literature and law. Vm interested in literature, but I want to be a lawyer.

  H:真的?(韩梅梅舒了一口气)说真的,我正在为选择美国文学,还是选择法律而 左右为难呢。我喜欢文学,但是我又想成为一名律师。

  J: You can major in literature first, and go to Law School for further education, like me.

  J:你可以先选择文学专业,然后进人法学院读研究生,就像我一样。

  H: You?

  H:你?

  J: I’m going to study physics and then go to Business School.

  J:我会先学习物理,然后去读商学院。

  H: Good idea!

  H:好主意!

  J: No matter how many your interests have, Harvard College will fulfill most of them. In addition to the major field of concentration, you can choose a secondary field which need not be related to the primary field.

  J:无论有多少兴趣爱好,哈佛大学都能满足彳尔所有的需求。除了一个主攻学习专 业以外,你可以选择第二专业,但是这个第二专业无需和主攻专业相关。

  H: We can choose as we wish.

  H:我们可以根据自己的意愿来选择。

  J: But we have to meet the minimal demand for a bachelor degree.

  J:但我们需要达到学士学位的最低要求。

  H: I like this kind of education. It treats students as humans rather than tools prepared for future walks.

  H:我喜欢这样的教育方式,它把学生当成真正的人来培养,而不是把学生训练成未 来工作所需要的工具。

429839