学习啦>学习英语>英语口语>

趣味英文惯用语总结(2)

燕妮分享

  8. the lights are on, but nobody's home —— 慢热,心不在焉

  Used when describing a person struggles to fit into normal society, and subsequently rejected and described to people as a bit slow.

  用来描述一个人努力想要融入社会但无法融入进去,还有点慢热的人。

  Example: Don't ask Dudley if he knows it, because… well, you know, the lights are on but nobody is home.

  例:用不着问达德利他知不知道。唔…你知道的,这人有点心不在焉。

  9. when pigs fly —— 完全不可能

  The phrase "when pigs fly" is a response equal to "it will never happen", or "I will never do it".

  这个习语的意思是“这件事是永远不可能的”,或是“我永远都不会这样做”。

  Example: The things you want to create is can only be complete when pigs fly.

  例:你要是能那些事做完,那猪都会飞了。

  10. to have Van Gogh's ear for music —— 音痴

  If you have Van Gogh's ear for music, you are a tone deaf.

  这样描述你的意思是:你是一个音痴。

  Example: He has Van Gogh’s ear for music and sings like a rusty hinge.

  例:他完全是个音痴,唱起歌来像生锈的门铰一样。

  11. to pig out —— 像猪一样吃东西

  This idiom means eating too much of something; to make a pig of oneself.

  这个习语的说的是吃的太多,吃得像猪一样。

  Example: Don't you girls pig out on too much candy!

  例:你们几个不要吃那么多糖,都吃成猪了!

  12. everything but the kitchen sink —— 什么乱七八糟的都有

  Almost everything, whether needed or not.

  几乎所有东西,无论是有用的还是没用的。

  Example: She must have brought everything but the kitchen sink along on the trip, and how she lifted her suitcase, I do not know.

  例:她一路上几乎什么都买了,不管是有用的还是没用的。我实在不知道她到底是怎么拎动她的手提箱的。

  13. to put a sock in it —— 闭嘴、别再说了

  Asking a noisy person or a group to be quiet or to shut up.

  让吵吵嚷嚷的单个人或一群人闭嘴。

  Example: Oh, dry up; put a sock in it.

  例:噢,你快给我闭嘴!

  14. to have a cast iron stomach —— 铁打的胃,吃多少喝多少都没问题

  A person who has a cast iron stomach is someone who has no problems with eating anything or drinking anything.

  这个习语指的是一个人吃多少喝多少都没问题。

  Example: I cannot eat this type of food because i don’t have a cast iron stomach.

  例:我不能吃这个东西,我的胃可不是铁打的。

  15. use your loaf —— 动动脑子

  If you tell someone to use their loaf, you are telling them in a slightly angry way that they should think more carefully about what they are doing.

  你跟别人说这个习语,就是说用有点生气的口吻让别人做事多动动脑子。

  Example: You haven’t even switched the thing on. Come on, Jamie, use your loaf!

  例:你连开关都没看。天哪,杰米,长点脑子吧!

188490